The gifts have been given and holiday cheer has been spread. While enjoying your loved ones, the festive mood is being diminished by the thoughts of the airport drama that awaits you.
The holiday travel season has been filled with delays, cancellations, tears and heartache. Reaching your destination should be effortless not frustrating. There are some steps that you can take to minimize the stress.
- Be prepared. Check the status of your flight either online or by calling your air carrier directly. Make sure to have all of your travel documents-itinerary ,government identification and passport if needed.
- Pack light. Know your airlines baggage fee policy. To avoid paying extra fees, place some items in your checked baggage and other pieces in your carry on bag.
- Speedy security check. To minimize time at the security check point remember to carry toiletries (3.4 ounces or less) and medication in clear, plastic, zip-top bag. If you have liquids in larger containers, place them in your checked baggage.
- Expect the EXPECTED. Setbacks are normal during this time. Cancellations due to weather are typically not covered by most airlines. Check with your carrier. Make sure that your cell phone is fully charged. It can be difficult to find accessible electrical outlets to recharge your phone. Pack the “extras” in your carry on bag-toiletries, wet wipes, a book or two, your favorite tunes, snacks, a light blanket, etc.
- Let your light SHINE. Travel with a positive attitude. The holiday season doesn’t always bring out the best people. Smiling can be contagious. Maintain a positive mindset despite any difficulties that you may encounter.
There are some measures that you cant take to not to let the hassles of air travel overshadow the time spent with loved ones. Happy Holidays!